August 19, 2009

Moment

"Rugged individualism" was a term
I had heard as a girl--
I loved it. It spoke of self-reliance,
Of cowboys and wagon trains
Of soldiers and adventurers
Of the person I wanted so badly to be.

There are other words others use
To describe this in me:
Stubbornness. Pigheadedness.
Self righteousness. Pride.
But I didn't want to rely on others.
I would do a thing myself, or not.

I know we were not built to live alone,
But perhaps I thought it weakness
To ask for help from anyone.
I have been the smart one
And I've been the strong one
The one to call when a thing needs doing.

How could I then be the one in need?
It seems so weak--and I have always
Disdained weakness. But there is a moment
Sometime in my past or future
When I have or will realize
That it is no shame to be human.

1 comment: