July 21, 2009

Ten Percent (1997 - 2001)

The best poems to come out of my high school career.


Wonder

Did you know that ants can talk?
I didn't.
I was about to mash this poor fellow between my fingers
When I heard this weird noise.

I thought it was amazing,
So I let the little guy go.
It's wonderful that everything makes at least
A little stir in the world.


Fire Song

Fire is my name
I am the highest of my order.
My place is past the stars,
I belong beyond the moon,
I must not be bound.

Earth cannot smother me
Water cannot drown me
Air cannot stifle me

Fire is my name
I burn brightly and well.
Mine is that highest place,
That zenith of existence
None other can achieve.

Earth cannot smother me
Water cannot drown me
Air cannot stifle me

Fire is my name
Nothing surpasses me.
Nothing equals me.
I am exalted
But--I am alone.


Beginning and End
approved by Frank Smyth

I saw the sun rise in the morning
I saw its bright whiteness at noon
I saw it hang low in the evening
And I saw it set 'neath the moon.

I saw a child born in the morning
I saw lovers kiss in the noon
I saw age's wisdom at evening
And I saw a grave 'neath the moon.

Life rises, glorious, at sunrise
And reaches its zenith at noon
And mellows with beauty at sunset
But its wonder fades 'neath the moon.

For though there is glory at sunrise
And brilliance blinding at noon
The sweet sunset bridges the wonder
That pales 'neath the light of the moon.

For Death has the pale shine of moonglow
That dispels fear of dark, lonely doom
And the brilliance achieved in a lifetime
Is dim in the light of the moon.

But Heaven, with glory of sunrise
And brilliant beauty of noon
And sweet golden wonder of sunset
O'ershadows the light of the moon.

And all will be rose in the morning
And whiteness run rampant at noon
And when golden yields to pale moonlight
Then all will be one, sun and moon.


Pedestal

You read their books, you listened to their music;
You saw their plays, you knew their theories;
You learned their culture and their consciousness:
You grasped their world.

You felt the hopelessness of their everything;
You mastered the futility of their gains;
You conquered the vacuum of their losses:
You withstood their nothingness.

You absorbed their denial and their praise;
You transcended their want and their pettiness;
You surpassed their doubt and their expectation:
You braved their emptiness.

You questioned their skepticisms and their reservations;
You challenged their motives and their actions;
You disputed their comforts and their anxieties:
You defied their helplessness.

I could not understand your passions;
I would not approach the shrine;
I dared not provoke your essence;
But I have loved your fearlessness.


Gabriel
In Memoriam

In a moment, in a flash of light,
His light was gone:
Brief candle snuffed by circumstance
And regret.
How simple life seems;
How innocent the world until a storm.

How inconsequential they are--
The storms that come--
Until the wind whips too close
To ignore.
Then blackness rolls in
And the world cries for an ending.

So weeping endureth for a night--
Long, lonely night--but
Joy cometh with the morning's
Golden light--
Though the light seems to hold
Something that it never held before.

Light from light, dark from dark--
End triumphant.
Though pain is not forgotten,
Darkness ends,
And dawn brings hope to each--
And day, it is said, is eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment